What Mental Health Counselors Need to Know About Medical Marijuana
AMHCA 2-hour Webinar
Friday, September 13, 2019
3:00 - 5:00 PM Eastern
Medical marijuana is now broadly or partially legalized in 33 states, though it remains illegal under federal law. Variation in state and local laws can create confusion for mental health professionals. Additionally, the expansion of medical marijuana raises a large number of questions for mental health professional in both clinical and forensic settings, such as:
1. What does the law say about medical marijuana in my state?
2. What is the difference between medical delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol (THC) and medical cannabidiol (CBD)?
3. How do I know whether my client is using medical marijuana therapeutically vs. abusing it?
4. What does the research say about what conditions medical marijuana might be helpful for, and which ones it can make worse?
5. What are the risks, side effects, and potential drawbacks of medical marijuana?
6. How do I know my client is overmedicated?
7. If my client uses medical marijuana, can employers discriminate against him or her?
8. What do I do if a client is referred to me for substance abuse treatment but is legally taking prescribed marijuana?
This 2-hour webinar seeks to provide attendees with answers to some of these questions, and resources for others. Also, attendees will be exposed to a tool called the Decision Matrix for CMHCs Encountering Medical Marijuana Use in Mental Helath and Substance Abuse Treatment Settings, which was designed to aid CMHCs in formulating a very clear and informed approach to addressing medical marijuana use.
Price for this webinar: