Board Meeting Minutes - October 10, 2020

  • 26 Oct 2020 1:04 PM
    Message # 9326958
    Anne Farley (Administrator)

    Utah Mental Health Counselors Association

    October 10, 2020

    Board Meeting

    Minutes

    Start: 9:02 am

    End: 10:13 am

    MEETING HELD BY WEBINAR DUE TO COVID-19

     I.  Call to Order by Secretary

    II.  Welcome to ALL in attendance By Secretary

    1.      Welcome to those in attendance through Webinar.

    2.      Recognition of ALL Board members in attendance

    Governing Officers

    ·         Julie Tucker, LCMHC, President

    ·         Dennis Tucker, LCSW, Vice President

    ·         Terri Goldstein, ACMHC, Secretary

    Board Members PRESENT are underlined+ These should be in alphabetical order

    1.      Ellen Behrens, Ph.D., EACC Chair

    2.      Jordan Briggs, ACMHC, LPPC Chair

    3.      Carrie Graham, ACMHC, EACC Dual Chair

    4.      Anna Lieber, President-Elect, Graduate Student Chair

    5.      Terri Goldstein, ACHMC, EXEC Chair                                                          

    6.      Gray Otis, LCMHC, Presidential Advisor

    7.      Bryce Poorman, ACMHC, Treasurer

    8.      Dennis Tucker, LCSW, Vice President   

    9.      Julie Tucker, LCMHC, President, PRMM Chair 

    10.  Sandi Williams, LMFT, PPAC Chair 

    List of Voting Members who are Absent

    • ·         Terri Goldstein, ACMHC
    • ·         Dennis Tucker, LCSW

    Quorum Present

    III.  Secretary - Call to Ratify Minutes

    1.      Secretary to call for motion to ratify meeting Minutes from September 12, 2020 – Motion passed.

    2.      Secretary to give the floor to the President.

    3.      Meeting Called to Order

    IV.  Special Announcements by the President 

    • 1.      Julie welcomes everyone and states it is the second to last time of her presiding as president. She announces that UMHCA does not meet in December and that Anna will be the new president in January. 

    V. Committee Updates & Votes

    1.      Executive Committee (EXEC) – Meeting not held for September

    1. New Projects None.
    2. Update of Progress None
    3. Items for vote: None
    4. Budget Changes: None
    5. Suggestions from Board: None  

    2. Legislative & Public Policy Committee. (LPPC) – Meeting not held for September

    1. New Projects: None
    2. Update of Progress: We are continuing to work on getting letters out to legislators. VA passed their legislations, which Anna sent out information to everyone, that allows for the hiring of CMHCs. Medicare bill passed the House Energy and Commerce community, they cut out a few amendments that limited CMHCs in hospice care and discharge planning, as well as S&F Payment system. One member of the committee had an issue with some of those things, therefore they are not hopeful that it will pass this year. They believe it will pass in the post-election, lame-duck session. Gray stated that one republican legislator had a particular concern, and made a few deletions. UMHCA is watching the progress and will be preparing to send out an email blast concerning S.B. 23 and the VA legislation. This should go out soon. Julie stated that, “when Scott was chair of the Legislative Committee, that he had a budget of $500.00 to take Legislators out to lunch.”  Jordan acknowledges awareness of that opportunity, but due to COVID, we are starting with inviting them to a committee meeting. Ellen asks if it is worth mentioning the release of the loan payment for CMHC’s?  Jordan reports that the terms were released. Ellen states that they posted the application and requirements. Julie asked Jim to get the link out to the membership and board who are recently graduated, and may be eligible for this application. Jordan states she will send the link to Jim. Gray wants to clarify the information and assumes that Jordan received the email concerning the next Behavioral Healthcare Workforce Work-Group Meeting. It will be Thursday October 22, 2020 at 10:30, which will be done through Zoom. Gray hopes to attend and confirms Jordan will attend as well. He mentions that they need to bring the details up and clarify requirements and how the money will be applied/released. Ellen wonders if it is worth applying for right away, just be first in line. Julie believes that applying as soon as possible would be worth it. 
    3. Items for vote: None
    4. Budget Changes: None
    5. Suggestions from Board: None.

    3  Education & Conference Committee (EACC) Update of progress  in board – Meeting cancelled for October.

    1. New Projects: None
    2. Update of Progress:
      1. 2020 Summer Series continues to bring in revenue, particularly as counselors prepare for license renewal this past month. Carrie stated that she doesn’t have specific numbers, but she is still getting requests to put out CE’s, and she believes it may slow down. The Summer Series still continues to bring in revenue throughout September. Ellen thanks Jim and Carrie. Ellen states that they will meet in November and forecast about the Spring Conference.
    3. Items for vote: None
    4. Budget Changes: None
    5. Suggestions from Board: None
    • 4.      Public Relations, Marketing & Membership Committee (PRMM)
    • Jim reports that Rocky Mountain University College in Provo are not accredited yet, but want to become partners with UMHCA. They want to do a lot of their training through UMHCA. Jim asks Ellen if she wants to get in touch with them and that he has forwarded the information onto Ellen.  Ellen is unsure on specifics. Julie states they are a new online school. Ellen reports that UMHCA doesn’t partner with universities other than to host the conference at a location for a reduced fee. Julie suggests sending the information up to the Executive Committee to discuss where we’d like them to go and how we’d like them to partner. Anna shares that she received the email and plans to bring it to the executive committee meeting. Julie states the Executive Committee will take care of this. Anna states she will respond to all the emails that Jim sent and CC Julie and Terri on those emails.
    1. New Projects
      1. Website Changes
        1. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion statement (admin view only for now). Jim proposes putting this on every page and wants the Executive Committee to edit the text and get it back to Jim.  Julie likes the idea and agrees this is something we want to vote on it.
        2. Response to the Strategic Planning Meeting comments: Committees represented on the home page. You can click on any of the committees and it will take you to their committee page information. Jordan had several good ideas and Jim states that each committee chair can send him what they want on their pages and he will get it updated. Julie asks for people to give Jim content. Jim took over the GBAB post forum, so whenever we want to post something, it will go to the that forum.
    2. Update of Progress:
      1. Jim reports we have 505 members.
      2. Business partners proposal (not a voting item) The following are a list of decisions we made at our meeting:
        1. One membership per entity (If I have more than one business, I don’t’ get all of them for the price of one)
        2. No banners (It’s an outdated marketing practice)
        3. Logo on website; EXAMPLE: https://www.bugcrowd.com
        4. Discounted vendor table (or free if EACC approves)
        5. Discounted Conference tickets for their members
        6. $100 annual fee
        7. Need additional guinea pigs (throwing a handful of coins into a brand-new water fountain): Key Core Beliefs, New Beginnings, Counseling, Igniting Change, Paul Callister’s private practice, etc.) Jim wants to hear thoughts on these ideas. Julie states that if anyone wants to be a part of this that they can reach out to Jim. Julie is wondering if the discounted vendor table may be better served by Sandi’s group. Julie recommends that some of these ideas may be better served through discussion in the executive committee meetings. Julie praises Jim for the excellent job he is doing. Jim states that he really wants Bryce’s input, Bryce thinks it’s a good idea. Anna is wondering if all employees would get a discounted ticket, and Anna shared that it could vary by the size of the agency. Julie proposes that we flush this part out, tweak them in the executive committee and then present it for vote. Julie states anything with money needs a vote, so the executive committee needs to discuss with the conference committee and present information for a vote. Julie proposes collaborating with the executive, PRMM, and EACC committees. Bryce states that other organizations have had success with this, so he would like to see this move forward. Jim states that anyone who has ideas for partners would be great, and states Sandi has some great contacts. Julie discusses being cautious about putting too many organizations on the list, and Jim discusses solutions to these concerns.
      3. Analytics
        1. Jim discusses the categories on the website with the recent upticks and that most people are checking our website around lunch time. 2/3 of our viewers are viewing on a desktop. Jim states he’s geared most things to the desktop.
        2. Fun things to know about UMHCA’s almost 600 clinicians website behaviors
        3. Spikes in website hits during and before conferences
        4. Passed the 500 mark.
    3. Items for vote:
      1. Previously tabled: Motion to allow active, student UMHCA volunteers to lower their annual membership dues to $0 Jim is proposing to allow active volunteers to lower their annual membership down to $0.  Julie states there are rules that prevent UMHCA from offering membership dues to $0. We could lower it. Jim and Julie discuss volunteers and students, Jim clarifies that he would want Student Volunteer in the committees to not have to pay their membership dues. Julie states they need to clarify this, flush it out in the executive committee, and create specific language to be presented for the vote. Julie wants a specific list and proposes we resubmit the list monthly or quarterly, with the responsibility lying with the chairs of each committee. Bryce states that he supports this and would like to vote now. Julie states this is not possible and overrides this. Ellen proposes that the language could be focused so that the fee would be waived if they were on a board approved list of volunteers. Gray is in agreement. Julie clarifies her approach of siphoning through everything she knows about voting and organizations. Ellen clarifies that the Board will designate those who qualify based on their volunteer history. Julie clarifies Ellen’s statement, and Ellen states she feels they don’t need the actual names. Julie states they would need the names. Ellen discusses how they don’t need the names for this vote. Julie agrees and wants more details. Bryce proposes those who attend 75% of the Board Meetings and attend one committee regularly as qualifying factors.. Gray proposes we put it to a vote. Julie asks for a repeat of the proposal. Gray states, “All student UMHCA volunteers who attend 75% of the board meetings and regularly attend one of the committees will be provided with an annual membership at no cost.” Julie opens it up for discussion, asks others to look it over and ratify it for the next meeting. Julie puts it up for the vote, and brings up concerns, Gray amends it to include “Or 9 Hours”. Vote is called, motion is passed.
    4. Budget Changes: None
    5. Suggestions from Board: None

    5. Professional Partnership & Associate Partnership Committee (PPAC)

    1.      New Projects: None

    2.      Update of Progress:

    1.      UMHCA/NASW Supervisor Training  - Defer to Ellen Ellen states a full group of volunteers, who will be the trainers using the outline the joint committee has created, will meet in the month of October to hammer out details of recordings, logistics, and funding, etc. Gray states the project is moving along and acknowledges Ellen’s role in moving it forward.

    2.      UNI Sandi is in contact with the administrator of UNI, she hasn’t received emails with information around what is wanted to partner up, and that she is open to receiving emails if anyone would like to add to this. Sandi reports they just hired their first LMFT at UNI, so it’s progress towards moving in that direction for CMHC’s.

    3.      Items for vote: None

    4.      Budget Changes: None

    5.      Suggestions from Board: None.

    6. General Board & Advisory Board Committee (GBAB) - HOLD

    7. Graduate Student & Emerging Professionals Committee (GSEP)

    1.      New Projects: None

    2.      Update of Progress:

    1.      Free training for students and emerging professionals on October 30, 2020: Getting the Most Out of Clinical Supervision with Marie Jackson, LCSW. Invitations sent out to directors of counseling and related programs throughout the state. We are mainly planning for this training. Jim asks if UMHCA is offering CE’s? Carries states they are not offering CE’s, it is focused on students. Jim proposes to record it and add it to the training site. Carrie states that would be a great idea. Anna adds that 15 attendees are currently registered.

    3.      Items for vote: None

    4.      Budget Changes: None

    5.      Suggestions from Board: None

     

    8. Business of Governing Officers

    1.      President  - We did not meet last month, but

    2.      President-elect –  None

    3.      Vice President  - None

    4.      Secretary – None

    5.      Presidential Advisor’s Report:

    1. AMHCA Update: AMHCA Fall 2020 Virtual Summit: “Integrating Cultural Competence Skill Into Your Practice”. It is scheduled for November 19 and 20. I believe it is free for if you are registered for the June 2021 AMHCA Conference in Las Vegas, $100 for AMHCA Members not registered, and $150 for non members of AMHCA. A total of 10 CE’s are available. More info at AMHCA.org. Gray reports that AMHCA published “The Perfect Storm” and it should be on our website. The AMHCA Fall 2020 Virtual Summit is coming up. On Nov 18, AMHCA is scheduling a leadership training day. Gray will be there, but would like others to be there. Julie would like to attend it as well. Gray has not seen the agenda on it, but he believes it will be mostly during the day. Anna is registered to attend both the Fall Conference and the Leadership training.

    6.      Treasurer Report:

    Income: $1,524.00

    Expense: $958.57

    Net: $570.43

    1.      Zion's checking: $15,099.84

    2.      Zion's money market: $1,623.62

    3.      Zion's PayPal: $1,503.04

    4.      Total: $18,226.50

    VII. Other Issues

    1.      Open to floor for discussion Bryce acknowledged the work Carrie did in adding to the increase in the revenue. Ellen states it is probably not sustainable, and we need an Executive Director. She hopes the Executive Committee will move quickly to implement this position. Ellen wonders if there is a way for the Executive Committee to pay Carrie for her work retroactively. Julie states she needs to submit a timecard to the Executive Committee board. The EACC requests the Executive Committee to pay both Carrie and Jim Jim for the work they did. Julie states that paying them is the way to make this sustainable. Julie states she doesn’t want to do this every time, and it isn’t our policy, but that she will agree to paying Carrie and Jim.

    2.      Any issues not already discussed above

    VIII. Secretary to Close the meeting:

     Anna proposes a motion to end the meeting, Jordan seconds it. Julie called for the vote, motion carried, the meeting is closed.  


    Last modified: 26 Oct 2020 1:12 PM | Anne Farley (Administrator)

Utah Mental Health Counselors Association is Utah's hub for enhancing the profession of mental health counselors. 
UMHCA is a 501(c)6 organization.

© 2020 UHMCA • Policies • Privacy • Site Map

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software