Utah Mental Health Counselors Association
November 14, 2020
Start: 9:04 am
End: 10:30 am.
MEETING HELD BY WEBINAR DUE TO COVID-19
I. Call to Order by Secretary
II. Welcome to ALL in attendance By Secretary
1. Welcome to those in attendance through Webinar.
2. Recognition of ALL Board members in attendance
· Julie Tucker, LCMHC, President
· Dennis Tucker, LCSW, Vice President
· Terri Goldstein, ACMHC, Secretary
· Bryce Poorman, ACMHC, Treasurer
Board Members PRESENT are underlined+ These should be in alphabetical order
1. Ellen Behrens, Ph.D., EACC Chair
2. Jordan Briggs, ACMHC, LPPC Chair
3. Carrie Graham, ACMHC, EACC Dual Chair
4. Anna Lieber, LCMHC, President-Elect, Graduate Student Chair
5. Terri Goldstein, ACHMC, EXEC Chair
6. Gray Otis, LCMHC, Presidential Advisor
7. Bryce Poorman, ACMHC, Treasurer
8. Dennis Tucker, LCSW, Vice President
9. Julie Tucker, LCMHC, President, PRMM Chair
10. Sandi Williams, LMFT, PPAC Chair
List of Voting Members who are Absent
III. Secretary - Call to Ratify Minutes
1. Secretary to call for motion to ratify meeting Minutes from October 10, 2020 – Motion passed. Terri inquired if everyone had a moment to review the minutes.
2. Secretary to give the floor to the President Elect.
3. Meeting Called to Order
IV. Special Announcements by the President: None.
V. Committee Updates & Votes
Executive Committee (EXEC) –
1. Terri states the executive meeting has been changed to Friday, 11/20/2020. Terri gives floor to Gray for presidential adviser’s report.
2. Presidential Adviser's Report
1. Benefits of joining UMHCA
1. Gray is excited that Jim Mason has added a tab to the UMHCA website for join/benefits. Gray has been working to get AMHCA to add a benefits tab to their website. Leadership meeting and the 2-day Summit is coming up for AMHCA this week.
2. Business partnerships:
1. UMHCA received a request from Wake Forest University to share information with our membership regarding a timely research study. The EXEC agreed that this request should be considered as sponsorship opportunities are structured. Anna will continue to communicate with Wake Forest on this issue. We’re creating the structure, which you’ll hear about.
3. Upcoming stakeholder meetings were discussed including:
1. AMHCA Leadership Conference Nov 18th and Fall Conference Nov 19th & 20th
2. DOPL Meeting 11/04/2020 at 9:00AM
3. BHWW Group – next meeting 10/22/20 10:30 via zoom
1. Jordan states this meeting keeps being delayed.
4. Loan forgiveness – More information is needed for discussion
1. Gray explains details around loan forgiveness for CMHCs, wonders if we could post it on our website. Anna recommends we look at it in the Friday committee.
2. Update of Progress
1. Anna has been approached by Rocky Mountain University; Krystal James is coming to the November 20th Executive Committee meeting. Terri shares that the meeting with Sandi for PPAC included a discussion for a Diversity/Inclusion statement that UMHCA wanted to do. Anna reports that they emailed PRMM and made some suggestions, just want to make sure to include it with our existing language that has been approved. Anna states that if any committee wants to bring anything to the board, please feel free to contact the executive committee. Anna adds that the executive committee is moving forward in hiring an executive director.
2. Items for vote: None
3. Budget Changes: None
4. Suggestions from Board: None
2. Legislative & Public Policy Committee. (LPPC) –
3 Education & Conference Committee (EACC) Update of progress in board – Meeting cancelled for October.
1. New Projects:
1. The committee met on November 11th to discuss the Spring Annual Conference. We decided to offer an online, one day, 8-hour conference, where people can opt in or out of sessions throughout the day or buy the complete package. We intend to invite presenters whose proposals were already accepted for last year's cancelled conference, but didn’t get the opportunity to present. We are hoping to offer 2-3 concurrent sessions. We are exploring online conference platforms such as HopIn, which allows for fluid networking and movement among "rooms".
2. We hope to subsequently post conference recordings on our website for 'on demand' CE credits. To power that, we are exploring software/services that automate the administration of an exam and CE certificates, so we need to automate that. Carrie spent 25 hours just doing that, which is not sustainable going forward. We are looking to automate the whole online part. We would like to pay the person/s who administer the conference (e.g. registration, certificates, exams) and so we would like to build a budget for people who power the conference. The actual delivery of the summer series took 65 to 70 hours, and this position needs to be paid, and Jim spent quite a few hours too. Ellen wonders if anyone has any thoughts, she checks in with Carrie to see if she has anything further to add. Carrie feels Ellen covered everything. Anna thinks this is great and is excited to hear more about it.
3. Jim points out that Carrie did a ton of work. We had 150+ attendees for the summer series, but Carrie handled over 230 certificates offline. The OnDemand CE option is off the scale. Jim agrees this is not sustainable and supports what Ellen is saying. Ellen shares that we more than doubled participation, but that we more than quadrupled the work needed to pull it off. Terri agrees with what has been said, we didn’t know it would take 65 hours, and now we know the process so that we can prepare for it
2. Update of Progress: None.
3. Items for vote: None
4. Budget Changes: None
5. Suggestions from Board: Continue to work on it and giving any updates as necessary.
1. New Projects
1. New additions to our website: at the bottom of every page is our diversity quote that “Diversity is our greatest strength.”
2. The font is intentional to look different because it grabs attention to the diversity quote. If you click on it, it goes to the policy page; Jim is waiting for the policy that will go in for that page when the executive committee approves the policy.
1. Terri states that the language needs to be strong enough to achieve what we are trying to do; it needs to be specific. Terri would want it to be stronger than just an anti-racist statement, it’s a non-discrimination policy. Terri is unsure who would be the best, or expert, to draft this policy for approval. She is not sure the executive committee was planning to write that.
1. I propose that Julie and all past presidents be placed in the past presidents tier.
5. Professional Partnership & Associate Partnership Committee (PPAC)
1. New Projects: None
2. Update of Progress:
1. Sandi states they held a meeting, they are putting up an initial structure, thinking tier based. Terri gave us a wonderful lists of what kind of benefits we could give to them for being our partner. We are not there yet for the partnership. Sandi wants a discussion with Jim concerning his knowledge about expanding their portion of the website. Or develop an entirely different website. Sandi asks if anyone has anything to add, she will reach out to Jim, and give an update in January. Anna gives the floor to Carrie, who is no longer at the meeting. Bryce will give the information for Carrie.
5. Suggestions from Board: None
6. General Board & Advisory Board Committee (GBAB) - HOLD
7. Graduate Student & Emerging Professionals Committee (GSEP)
1. We did our presentation on getting the most out of supervision, next meeting is in January. The next presentation is entering the workforce and getting a job. Anna states the presentation was really good and a great turnout.
1. Ellen wonders if it is possible to record those so they can be posted online. Bryce states we can record for the future, but did not record this last presentation.
8. Business of Governing Officers
1. President - None.
2. President-elect – Anna reported the strategic plan is being finalized with everyone’s input. The beginning of next year, we might have another strategic planning mini meeting to get further suggestions. Motion to extend meeting for 10 minutes was called and approved..
3. Vice President - None.
4. Secretary – None.
5. Presidential Advisor’s Report:
6. Treasurer Report:
VII. Other Issues
1. Open to floor for discussion: None.
2. Any issues not already discussed above: Anna will get greater clarity on what requires a vote and will disseminate that information. Terri ends the meeting.
VIII. Secretary to Close the meeting: 10:30 am.
Utah Mental Health Counselors Association is Utah's hub for enhancing the profession of mental health counselors. UMHCA is a 501(c)6 organization.© 2020 UHMCA • Policies • Privacy • Site Map